Funny yet truth
Around the world researchers invented several medicines, drugs to overcome insomnia, here in India. There is a fantastic recipe that can solve insomnia in few bites called “Pongal”. Pongal which is a popular South Indian recipe is made with White Rice and Moong Dal. It is also made in two different versions one with salt and the other with Jaggery added sweet version. Both taste Yum. In this recipe, we will see more about the Salty version of the same.
This is an easy recipe; here we are going to see in detail the easiest version possible. If you are working or busy with your morning routine, this recipe will melt you and make you fall for it again and again. The reason behind its sleepy side effect is that it is heavy dish filled with fat and protein and carbs. Once your tummy knows that it is filled, it will signal to your eyes to go back to resting mode.
It is universal that Khara Pongal or Ven Pongal is offered as “Neivedyam” (Offering to go) to deities across many temples in India. From Star hotel to small hotel, this recipe is familiar across the country. The secret lies in two things; one in good quality of ingredients and second in quantity of Ghee used. If we add the high quality of ingredients and good quantity of ghee then this will be your favorite dish for your Life time.
For Health conscious people
Here in these recipe list, we are ensured to follow only healthy recipe for all ages, hence we are going to see this recipe in Little Millet version (Little millet in English, Kutki in Hindi, Sama in telugu, Same in Kannada, Chama in Malayalam). The usual version of Khara Pongal is made with Raw rice, this is normal yet not much healthy. Hence rice selection is depending on your preferences.
Calorific value: 100 grams offers 341 kcal Energy.
Nutrition Facts: Carbohydrates-67.0g, Dietary fiber-7.6g, Fat-4.7g, Protein-7.7g, Minerals: Calcium-17.0mg(2%), Iron- 9.3mg(72%), Phosphorus-220.0mg(31%).
Medicinal Values of Little Millet: High phosphorus in little millet helps with fat metabolism, body tissue repair and creating energy, especially good for people who has low body mass. It is rich in phyto-chemicals and it has excellent antioxidant properties. Also have complex carbohydrates to digest slowly which is very helpful for diabetics. The dietary fibre protects against hyperglycemia (Excess blood sugar level) thus lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes. It reduces cholesterol, helps in digestion and reduces the chances of heart attacks.
With no further delay, let’s get started
- ½ cup little millet
- 2 tbsp Moong dal
- 1 tbsp Ginger crushed/ chopped
- Ghee – As needed
- 1 tsp Pepper Black whole pepper
- ¾ tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 – 5 Full cashew nuts
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves
- ⅛ tsp Asafetida/ Hing
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Coriander leaves
Procedure to make
- Wash and soak little millet for 30 minutes.
- In a medium flame, heat Maxima’s Tri ply pressure cooker with 2 tablespoon of ghee add little millet and add 2 – 2 ½ cup of water. In a separate bowl fully cook moong dal with ginger, asafoetida, salt and half sprig of curry leaves. Leave it to cook up to 4 / 5 whistles.
- Once little millet is completely cooked. In maxima’s Tri ply kadai, first add 3 spoons of ghee and fry cashew nuts to golden brown and keep it aside. Then pop pepper, add cumin seeds the other ingredients together (green curry leaves) and give a stir.
- Now add the tempering to mashed moong dal and stir it properly.
- Later mix moong dal to mashed little millet, freshly chopped coriander leaves, add 2 more spoons of ghee and mix well.
- Serve with fried cashew on top for garnishing.
White Chutney / Coconut Chutney
- 1½ cup Fresh Coconut (Grated)
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Chana Dal
- 2 - 3 Green Chillies
- 5 - 6 Curry Leaves
- Salt to Taste
For tempering the chutney:
- 2 tablespoons – Cooking Oil
- 3/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ¾ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
For White Chutney
Grind all above mentioned ingredients together in to a fine paste.
For tempering, add oil to Maxima’s Tri Ply Wok pan and heat it in low flame. Once oil is heated add mustard allow it to get burst out and add all other tempering ingredients to the Wok pan. Turn off the flame, once the ingredients get nice golden brown colour.
So, why wait?
The quality and quantity of ingredients will bring out the exotic aroma of Ven Pongal. This divine like dish will help you in reducing high body heat and rich in fat. It is best suitable to consume in breakfast especially on weekends (When you are planning to take rest for the day). Savor this dish along with white chutney or pudina chutney or Sambar. In some part of India, they consume with Vegetable Kothsu too.
Hope you try this recipe soon and share us your valuable feedback with us in comments.