You would not like to repeat the same set of menus every week. And so does your family. However, there are endless cuisines you can try to satisfy everyone’s craving for something new and delicious. With this recipe blog, you will learn how to make delicious Kashmiri Veg Pulao at home! It is best suited for an afternoon meal, preferably on a Sunday.
So, the first thing that you need to start this dish is with the perfect Tri Ply Cookware for a comfortable cooking experience. Let us now get started with the recipe.
A Prelude To The Kashmiri Veg Pulao
Kashmiri Pulao started out as a confluence of the culture of Kashmiri pandits and the Hindus in the middle ages. Later, it began to be shaped by the Afghan, Persian, and Central Asian cultures.
This Pulao does not have onions and garlic. These two ingredients give a special touch to any dish. But, in this recipe, asafoetida makes up for the absence of onions and garlic. The dry fruits and raisins will add a rich flavor to the outcome. Spices like fennel and garlic powder make this dish aromatic.
Now, let us proceed with the recipe.
Making The Kashmiri Veg Pulao
For this recipe, you either require a Tri Ply stainless steel frying pan or a pressure cooker. This recipe is suitable for a serving size of 5 to 6 and the total preparation time is around 1 hour. Here are the ingredients to prepare the Briyani.
For The Rice
- Soaked Basmati Rice - 1.25 cups
- Water - 5 cups
- Saffron - A pinch
- Salt as needed
For The Curry
- Chopped Potatoes, carrot, cauliflower, green peas - Half a cup
- Cinnamon - 2 inch
- Green cardamom - 3 Nos
- Black cardamom - 2 Nos
- Cloves - 3 Nos
- Ginger Powder - 1 tsp
- Fennel Powder - 1.5 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Caraway Seeds - 1 tsp
- Grated Nutmeg - ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- Ghee - 3 Tbsp
- Curd - 5 Tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt as needed
For The Garnish & Layers
- Coriander leaves, and Pudina - 2 bsp
- Saffron soaked in water or milk - 2 pinches
- Rinse the Basmati rice and let it soak for 25-30 minutes.
- Now take a Steel Hotpot and heat 5 cups of water. Once it reaches the boiling point, add the rice with the required amount of salt. Cook until the Basmati rice is 3/4th cooked.
- After the rice is cooked, drain all the water and sprinkle a pinch of Saffron on it. Then, set it aside with a lid to keep the rice from drying.
- Chop all the vegetables in the quantity as given in the Ingredients section. Keep them ready.
- Take a pan or a pressure cooker and add three tablespoons of Ghee.
- Add all the spices—Black & green Cardamom, cinnamon, caraway seeds, mace, and cloves in the required quantity as stated in the ingredients.
- Keep frying them until you get the rich aroma of the spices.
- Now add the vegetables: carrots, cauliflower, green peas, and potatoes. Let them cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then introduce Chilli powder, nutmeg, asafoetida, fennel powder, ginger powder, and garam masala. Stir well to spread the masala evenly across the dish.
- Add curd to it and keep stirring.
- Now add water to the mixture and the desired amount of Salt. Let them cook until the desired consistency is reached. On a pressure cooker, cook for a maximum of 3 whistles. Ensure that the gravy should not be watery.
Preparation: Layering The Pulao
- Take the best Tri Ply stainless steel Kadai or a deep pan. First, put half of the vegetable gravy as the initial layer.
- Add half of the Basmati rice as the second layer.
- Add Coriander and mint leaves on top of it. Sprinkle some saffron too.
- For the next layer, add the remaining gravy.
- Finish the layering with the Basmati rice. You can keep adding two or three layers but ensure that the rice is always the last.
Cooking The Kashmiri Pulao
For cooking the Briyani, you need to tightly secure the top of the pan or the Kadai with aluminum foil and place the lid.
Heat the Triply Tawa on a medium flame and once it reaches a considerable amount of heat, keep the Kadai on top of it.
Cook for at least 25 minutes. There is another method. For the Dum, add 10 to 15 minutes and cook the Briyani on low flame.
While the Briyani is cooking, roast or fried cashews.
After half an hour, turn off the gas and let it sit for five minutes at room temperature.
Once the Briyani is done, top it with a few pieces of roasted cashews and some mint leaves.
Serving Suggestions: Raita Makes The Best Pair For This Pulao.
To make wonders in your kitchen, the cookware is as important as your cooking skill. Get a wide range of Tri Ply Stainless Steel products like Kadai, Pan, Pot, and 1 Liter Pressure Cooker Online India at Maxima World.